Direct: (213) 225-6005
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles; McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, J.D., 1994
- University of California at Los Angeles, B.A., 1989
Troy H. Slome’s practice focuses on business litigation, intellectual property litigation, and entertainment litigation. Mr. Slome has represented business entities and individuals in a variety of federal and state litigation matters, including matters involving claims for copyright and trademark infringement, breach of film production and contingent compensation agreements, real estate and title disputes, unfair competition, securities fraud, partnership disputes, and breach of licensing and employment agreements. In addition, Mr. Slome has also handled numerous arbitrations and mediations involving a wide range of business litigation issues.
- First chaired a two week jury trial involving claims for intentional and negligent fraud by a purchaser of a commercial warehouse against the sellers. Obtained a jury verdict in favor of our client, the purchaser, on the claim for intentional fraud, and successfully collected the fraud judgment entered by the court in excess of $200,000 against the sellers of the property.
- Successfully appealed a United States Bankruptcy Court’s preliminary injunction order against a commercial lender involved in a loan transaction. Following the Appellate Court’s reversal of the preliminary injunction order, the client was able to proceed with the foreclose sale of the commercial building and obtain title to the property.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of large institutional lender in response to a purchaser’s claim that the lender’s secured lien was extinguished in a foreclosure sale. The case involved the interpretation of covenants recorded against the property concerning the priority of liens, and the court agreed with the client’s proffered interpretation of the covenants as a matter of law.
- First chaired a four week jury trial involving claims for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty against an escrow company involved in a commercial loan refinance transaction. Obtained a complete defense verdict in favor of the escrow company, and also prevailed on a cross-claim for indemnity against the plaintiffs in the case.
- Represented an international sales representative company in a breach of contract action against a foreign manufacturer and obtained an arbitration award in excess of $3.5 million in favor of client.
- Obtained summary judgment and dismissal of mortgage fraud claims asserted against financial institution.
- Obtained writ of attachment and levied on clothing manufacturer’s bank accounts in connection with fraud and breach of contract action.
- Successfully collected multi-million dollar judgment against a motion picture production company.
- Represented a plaintiff in dispute concerning an output agreement for the licensing of film titles in which a judgment was obtained and collected from the defendant production company.
- Represented an out-of-state defendant in a securities action and obtained a dismissal for lack of personal jurisdiction.
- Obtained appellate ruling affirming the lower court’s order striking a defendant’s cross-claim as an anti-SLAPP strike suit.
- Obtained dismissal of a case asserting claims for wrongful foreclosure, fraud and unfair trade practices against a lender at the pleading stage.
- Successfully opposed a major satellite company’s motion to dismiss claims for copyright and trademark infringement brought by musical performers, which led to a settlement involving monetary and injunctive relief for the musical performers.
- Obtained settlement in excess of $1 million in favor of client in legal malpractice action
- Successfully opposed a major studio’s motion for summary judgment involving a producer’s claim for net profits from a motion picture, which led to a settlement involving monetary relief for the producer.
- First chaired a one week bench trial in 2018 regarding a dispute between a commercial landlord and a tenant, and obtained a judgment in favor of the commercial landlord, including recovery of the client’s attorneys’ fees and costs as the prevailing party.
- First chaired a binding JAMS arbitration in 2020 between a manufacturer of overseas garments and a purchasing company, and obtained an arbitration award in excess of $7.2 million dollars against the purchasing company. Our client also prevailed in response to the purchasing company’s claims for indemnity and liquidated damages in a counterclaim filed in the same binding arbitration.
- First chaired a bench trial in 2020 regarding a quiet title and lien priority claim between an institutional lender and private investors. The court ruled in favor of our clients’ deed of trust being in a senior position ahead of the institutional lender’s deed of trust, and the court also ruled in favor of the clients’ claim that their deed of trust and priority lien claim was binding against the defaulted homeowners.
Other Professional Activities
- Member, State Bar of California (1995)
- Member, State Bar of Colorado (1995)
- Constitutional Rights Foundation, Lawyer Coach – Palos Verdes High School (2012-Present)
Prior Professional Experience
- Associate, Murphy Rosen Meylan & Davitt, Santa Monica, CA (2005-2012)
- Associate, Spolin, Silverman & Cohen, Santa Monica, CA (2002-2005)
- Associate, King, Holmes, Paterno & Berliner, Los Angeles, CA (2000-2002)
- Associate, Engstrom, Lipscomb & Lack, Los Angeles, CA (1996-2000)
- Research Attorney, Los Angeles Superior Court, West District (1995-1996)