Direct: (213) 225-6004
- Cornell Law School, J.D., 2003, Cornell Law Review, Magna Cum Laude
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A., 2000
- Shaunt Arevian’s practice focuses primarily on complex business litigation. He has represented clients in a broad array of federal and state court litigation at the trial and appellate levels. In particular, he has litigated and counseled clients in matters that involved intellectual property, trade secrets, breach of contract, business torts, shareholder and partnership disputes, First Amendment and speech related issues, securities claims, and insurance and reinsurance issues.
- Mr. Arevian has been named a Southern California “Super Lawyer” in 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.
- Currently defending breach of contract and declaratory relief claims on behalf of Argo Group, an international underwriter of insurance and reinsurance products, arising from alleged environmental contamination and related efforts to investigate and remediate property in Torrance, California.
- Currently defending a leading packaging manufacturer and prosecuting counterclaims in a contractual dispute pending in federal court.
- Obtained a multi-million dollar award after a two week arbitration on behalf of R. Neil Malik against Kayne Anderson Capital Advisors on claims of breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Prevailed in a five day arbitration on behalf of a leading plush toy maker on claims for breach of contract and trademark infringement against a leading television production company, and obtained a significant monetary award.
- Obtained terminating sanctions and a complete dismissal of a multi-million dollar claim involving the construction of a luxury high-rise condominium project.
- Obtained summary judgment and a permanent injunction on trademark and unfair competition claims on behalf of one of the largest winemakers in the United States.
- Successfully prosecuted trade secret and fiduciary duty claims on behalf of an insurer in the public risk segment against a former executive and a competing insurer who misappropriated trade secret information. The matter settled on confidential terms.
- Successfully prosecuted trade secret and unfair competition claims on behalf of the largest provider of language interpretation services against a competitor who misappropriated highly sensitive trade secret information. Obtained a preliminary injunction at the outset of the litigation, preventing any continued use of the trade secret information. The matter settled on confidential terms.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of claims for negligence, premises liability, and ultrahazardous activity on behalf of Columbia University in connection with its management of the Biosphere facility in Arizona.
- Obtained summary adjudication of California Constitutional debt limitation claims on behalf of Fortune 500 Global bank, Dexia Credit Local, against the City of Bell relating to $35 million in bonds issued by the City of Bell.
- Successfully prosecuted trademark and unfair competition claims on behalf of IXL Learning, Inc. against Mattel Inc. and Fisher-Price, Inc. The matter settled on confidential terms.
- Successfully prosecuted breach of contract and declaratory relief claims arising from a reinsurance contract on behalf of a major insurance company. The matter settled on confidential terms.
- Successfully prosecuted trademark and copyright claims on behalf of the toy manufacturer, Aurora World International, against Ty Inc. The matter settled on confidential terms.
- Secured an affirmance in full on behalf of the heirs of the late musician, Eva Cassidy, in an appeal stemming from disputed licensing and film rights. The opinion was published and available at Blix Street Records, Inc. v. Cassidy, 191 Cal.App.4th 39, 119 Cal.Rptr.3d 574 (2010).
- Secured an affirmance in full on behalf of a biotechnology company in an appeal involving the scope of free speech protections and the litigation privilege.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of business tort claims asserted against a former CEO of a major semiconductor company.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of federal securities fraud claims asserted against the former CEO and CFO of a major television manufacturer and distributor.
- Successfully defended numerous individuals and entities in connection with Securities and Exchange Commission investigations and formal proceedings.
- “Evaluating Potential Claim Preemption in CUTSA Cases,” Los Angeles Lawyer, July/August 2014: 15-17.
Admitted to Practice
- Member, State Bar of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
Prior Professional Experience
- Associate, Murphy Rosen Meylan & Davitt, Santa Monica, California (2010-2012)
- Associate, Irell & Manella LLP, Los Angeles, California (2005-2010)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Federico A. Moreno, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida (2003-2004)