Direct: (213) 675-3601
- George Washington University National Law Center, J.D., 1989
- University of California, Santa Barbara, BA, magna cum laude, 1986
Peter Most is a complex business litigator. His practice emphasizes contract disputes, real estate litigation, commercial fraud, securities litigation, employment litigation and professional liability matters.
- Represented several large US financial institutions in connection with their purchase of nearly $1 billion of Parmalat-related securities. The case was settled on terms favorable to the clients.
- Represented several large US financial institutions in litigation against Wall Street banks in connection with their purchases of more than $1 billion of Enron and Enron-related securities. The matters settled successfully on confidential terms.
- Represented Rabobank, the third largest Dutch bank, in a $500 million fraud action against the largest Canadian bank related to the sale of certain Enron-related derivative securities and structured financings. The dispute was favorably settled on confidential terms.
- Represented Orange County in its securities litigation against various investment banks and other professional advisors following its Chapter 9 bankruptcy filing. The matters concluded successfully, obtaining nearly $900 million in settlements.
- Represented both Maguire Properties, the commercial office developer, and the firm’s founder in a series of separate contract disputes in court and in arbitrations related to various office projects.
- Representation of both lenders and borrowers in connection with commercial real estate loans and lender liability actions.
- Represented asphalt manufacturer in connection with alleged breach of requirements contract, obtaining highly favorable settlement.
- Represented Thomas Properties Group, Alcion Ventures, Joslyn Trust, Mesa West Capital, Watson Land Company, Kaiser Permanente, Maguire Aviation, and the City of Santa Monica in various real estate matters, working on projects including Playa Vista, 3161 Michelson, Four Seasons Residences, downtown Pacific Palisades, and 444 South Flower.
- Represented approximately 50 investment companies accusing a national bank of improperly inducing the companies to loan The Fontainebleau Resort project in Las Vegas hundreds of millions of dollars immediately prior to the project’s bankruptcy.
- Represented the Creditor’s Committee for the estate of Northview Corporation in an action to recover corporate assets unlawfully distributed to former officers, directors and shareholders of Northview Corporation in a complex tender offer and related merger transaction and in claims against Northview’s former counsel and investment banker for their role in the transaction.
Prior Professional Experience
- Partner, Arent Fox LLP; Principal, McKool Smith, PC; Partner, Hennigan Bennett & Dorman LLP; Partner, Hennigan, Mercer & Bennett LLP; Associate, Howrey & Simon; Associate, Paul Hastings Janofsky & Walker LLP
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Peer Review Rated
- Southern California Super Lawyers, 2007-2021
- Editor in Chief, Consumer Protection Reporting Service
- Member, United States District Court Merit Selection Panel for Magistrate Judges,
United States District Court for the Central District of California, 2012 – 2018
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association Judicial Appointments Committee, 2016 – 2018
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Judge Pro Tern for Los Angeles Superior Court, 1996-2006
- Mediator for Los Angeles County Superior Court, 1999-2006
- California Bar
- Massachusetts Bar
- New York Bar
- US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of California
- US District Court, Eastern District of California
- US District Court, District of Massachusetts
- US District Court, Western District of New York