Direct: (213) 225-6010
- Loyola Law School, J.D., 1988
- Claremont McKenna College, B.A., 1985,
- Economics and Psychology
Mr. Willens is a partner in MDJAK’s Real Estate and Title Practice Group, specializing in complex real-estate fraud cases. Mr. Willens also practices in other areas of specialty casualty defense including UAS (“drone”) law, complex personal injury, premises liability litigation, and extra contractual defense. He is one of only a handful of trial attorneys in the Southwestern United States with UAS technical and legal expertise and has consulted with legal and insurance professionals, UAS organizations and users, and local municipalities on developing issues in this industry. He is a licensed commercial pilot, rated in multi-engine jet aircraft, and has an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate. He owns and operates several drones and is heavily involved in consulting and training public safety agencies in drone law, policies, and procedures. He has tried approximately 30 cases to jury verdict.
- Litigates all manner of title-related claims including fraudulent conveyances, easement disputes, mechanics’ liens and other real estate matters.
- Specializes in litigation of complex real estate fraud including identity theft.
- Litigates UAS-related lawsuits including personal injury, property damage, and first-party claims.
- Advises public safety agencies on creating and implementing UAS policies and procedures.
- Advises local municipalities on drafting ordinances relating to UAS use.
- Defends complex personal injury lawsuits.
Other Professional Activities
- Adjunct Professor of Criminal Justice, Santa Ana College
- American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Practice Section
- Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International
- Los Angeles Chapter, Risk & Insurance Management Society
Presentations on Unmanned Aerial Systems Legal and Insurance Issues
- November, 2019, Santa Ana College, “Drones in Public Safety”
- September 2019, InterDrone, “Starting Your UAS Public Safety Program”
- March 2019, UAS Drones Disaster Conference, Airborne International Response
- July 2018, Certified Presenter on Drone Law, California State Bar
- June 2018, South Bay Inns of Court
- May 2018, AON Ignition Forum, Chicago
Prior Professional Experience
- Anderson, McPharlin & Conners, Los Angeles, California (2000-2018)